There’s still time to help with OAR's Project Winter Cheer. This program supports children and families impacted by incarceration for the holiday season.
Due to COVID-19, we can’t host our annual Toy Drive and Wrapping Party this year. We want participants, team members, volunteers, and supporters like you to stay safe and healthy.
But Project Winter Cheer (more information here) is moving forward nonetheless. We’ve partnered with four other Arlington nonprofits to host an online fundraiser called “Bring a Neighbor Holiday Joy” on the Volunteer Arlington website, where donations will be collected until Friday, Nov. 30th.
Each organization will receive donations from this fundraiser for their holiday programs for children and families. Your support will help OAR purchase and distribute gift cards for children on behalf of parents experiencing incarceration in our area. Families will be able to use the cards to safely buy any gifts, resources, or items needed for the holiday season. Each child will also receive a hand-written letter from their parent letting them know they are thinking about them for the holidays.
Our goal is to provide each child with a $50 gift card, and there will be nearly 200 children or more participating in the program this year. We need your help! Together we can bring our community holiday cheer.
How You Can Support Project Winter Cheer
• Donate to the "Bring a Neighbor Holiday Joy" fundraiser online on the Volunteer Arlington Website here: https://volunteer.leadercenter.org/bring-neighbor-holiday-joy?blm_aid=27990 by Friday, Nov. 30, 2020.
• Purchase gift cards (ex. VISA, Target, Amazon, Walmart) in denominations of $25, $50, or $100 and mail them to the OAR office (1400 N. Uhle Street, Suite 704, Arlington, VA 22201).
• Donate on the OAR website specifically to our children and family programs (Project Backpack/Project Winter Cheer) here. This donation form will remain available after the "Bring a Neighbor Holiday Joy" fundraiser ends.
• Volunteer to help with guardian outreach, data entry, and purchasing and mailing gift cards on behalf of OAR. Please email Stephannie Ku at email@example.com if you want to help.
• Spread the word! Please help us share our social media posts about Project Winter Cheer, post on your own social media, send your friends and family the fundraiser link.